St Philomena College was founded in 1958 by Msgr Fr Antony Patrao, a missionary, who conscientiously believed that education was the best means of empowerment. His conviction that the religious, spiritual, social and economic interest of the students could be best served through education made this region an educational hub. Even in the nascent stages of its growth the College showed all the signs of becoming a centre of excellence. A fully fledged centre of excellence is yet to be realized, but efforts towards this end have not ceased.
St Philomena College Post Graduate Library was established in 2011-2012. Post Graduate Centre is offering seven P.G Courses. They are MSW, M.Com. M.Sc. (Physics), M.Sc. (Mathematics), M.Sc. (Computer Science) and M.A (Economics).
The Library functions from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm on all working days (Monday to Friday) and on Saturday from 8.30 am to 2.00pm.
Library is located on ground floor of the P.G building in a 3353.59Sq.Ft/311.67Sq.Mt. area with good lighting and ventilation. At present we have total collection of more than 8480+ books. We follow Dewey decimal classification system.
|Sl No||Type of Document||Numbers|
|Number of Books||8480+|
|Number of Titles||4734|
|2||Thesis and Dissertations||235+|
|4||Bound Volumes of Journals||212+|
|5||Non Book Materials||190+|
- Book Reservation
- Book Renewal
- Paper clipping
- T Facilities
- Digital Library and E-Resources
- Bulletin Board services
Membership Details and Borrowing Privileges
Faculty Members, Research Scholars, Students of Post-Graduate Departments and Administrative Staff of the College are members of the library. Each member is issued with a membership card and borrowers tickets as per their eligibility given below.
|Post Graduate Student||03+01|
Library Provides Open Access System: System used in the library is open access. Students/Staff can go directly to the racks and select the book of their choice.
- Each student is issued with four Borrower’s Cards and a Membership Card.
- For the career guidance books, only the Borrower’s card with yellow colour is preferred.
- Books issued for home reading must be returned within 15 days. Due date is found on the due date label pasted on the book.
- The book once borrowed may be renewed on production of the book at the counter, before the expiry of the due date. However renewal requests will not the honored if that particular book is demanded by other students.
- Each Staff is issued with Fifteen Borrower’s Cards and a Membership Cards
- For the career guidance books, only the Borrower’s card with yellow colour is preferred.
- Books issued for home reading must be returned within 30 days. Due date is found on the due date label pasted on the book.
Those outsiders such as alumni/staff/ other than regular members who are willing to borrow books from P.G library are requested to get permission letter from chairman.
Library Rules and Regulations
General Rules and Regulations
- Strict silence must be observed in the library at all times.
- Students are prohibited from carrying edible items to the library.
- Library membership is compulsory for all the students and Staff.
- Library cards are not transferable.
- Students have to swipe the ID card for Movement Register purpose whenever they visit the library.
- While entering the library, students/staff should produce their Identity Card. They are not allowed to bring their own books inside the library except a note Book.
- Reference books, theses and project reports and periodicals/bound journals are not home issued.
- Students should not keep money or any valuable things in their bags kept at property counter.
- Students shall be held responsible for any damage done to the books while in their possession. Students are advised to check the books issued to them in the library. If any damage is found, the same should be brought to the notice of the Librarian. Complaints about the book will not be entertained at the time of returning books.
- 100.00 will be charged for duplicate card in case of loss or damage of Library card.
- For loss of Library book the member has to pay the price of the book plus fine.
- Students must behave well in the library and must not damage library property or disturb other readers.
- A member who fails to return the book within the due date shall pay Rs 3 per day as overdue charge.
- The book once borrowed may be renewed on production of the book at the counter, before the expiry of the due date. However renewal request will not be honored if that book is demanded by other members.
- Students should return library books and surrender their library cards to the library and obtain No Due Certificate before receiving admission tickets for the examinations.
- Mobile phones are not allowed inside the library.
- Eating and sleeping are not allowed in the Library.
Rules and Regulations of Digital Library
- Identity card must be presented and deposited before using the digital library facility.
- Strict silence must be observed in the Digital library at all times.
- CD/DVDs should not to be taken outside the Library.
- Changing the settings and display of the Computers kept in the Digital Library are not allowed.
- Recreational Activity like Playing games, Online Chatting and Accessing Social Networking sites are Prohibited.
- Browsing of Dating, Networking of friendship and porn website is strictly prohibited. Strict disciplinary action will be taken against the defaulters.
- Downloading, Installing and running of software other than those already installed on the computer station not allowed.
- Illegal / Unlawful activities such as hacking, deleting of files, Changing/ Tweaking of system configuration /passwords resulting damage of system and network are prohibited.
The computerized Library services made available with full fledged computer facility from the academic year 2014-2015 with the purchase of the multi user ‘E–LIB’ software. All the in-house activities of the library like accessing and cataloguing, member’s data, circulation service, serial control and report generation etc were computerized.
- Fully Computerized library Services.
- OPAC Facility.
- Free Broad Band Internet facility with BSNL Optical Connection.
- Annual Best User Award
- Organizing Books Exhibition and user awareness programme.
- Compilation University exam Questions paper.
- New Arrivals Display
- Deposit Scheme Book Facility during May-Jun Examination.
|Sl No||Periodical Title||Periodicity||Subject||Type||Language|
|1||Deeksha- Journal of Social work||Bi-annual||
|2||Rajagiri Journal of Social Development||Bi-annual||Regional||English|
|3||Indian Journal of Social Work||Bi-annual||National||English|
|4||Niratanka-Samajakaryada hejjegalu||Quarterly||National||English & Kannada|
|6||Social Action (HY)||Bi-annual||National||English|
|7||IUP Journal of Financial Risk Management||Quarterly||
|8||IUP Journal of bank Management||Quarterly||National||English|
|9||IUP Journal of Applied Finance||Quarterly||National||English|
|10||IUP Journal of Account Research||Quarterly||National||English|
|11||Indian Journal of Commerce and Management Studies||Quarterly||National||English|
|12||Pramana- Journal of Physics||Monthly||
|13||Indian journal of pure and applied physics||Monthly||National||English|
|14||Journal of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society||Quarterly||
|15||American Journal of Mathematical Science||Bi annual||International||English|
|16||Indian Journal of Information and Computer Science technology||Bi-annual||
|17||International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and technology||Bi-annual||International||English|
|19||Arthashastra : IJER||Fortnightly||National||English|
|20||Indian Journal of economics: Policy in emerging economics||Bi-annual||National||English|
|22||Resonance Journal of Science Education||Monthly||
|26||AIMS Journal of Research||Bi-annual||Management||Regional||English|
|Sl No||Periodical Title||Periodicity||Type||Language|
|4||Tell me why||Monthly||National||English|
|5||Electronics for You||Monthly||National||English|
|8||Times of India||English|
Web Resources for Teaching and Learning
Useful link to the web resources
SCIRUS: Scientific Search Engine – Library Research Guides
Search HathiTrust’s digital library
DOAJ-Directory of Open Access Journals
Public Library of Science
INFOMINE @ UCR LIBRARIES
MATHGUIDE-State and University library Gottingen(SUB) Germany
d m o z
Bartleby.com:Grate Book Online
The Socio Web
Indian Academy of Science
World Wide Science.Org: The Global science Gateway
Khan Academy: Education company
UGC InfoNet- Digital Library Consortium
Free Online Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia.com http://www.encyclopedia.com/
Internet Resources Newsletter:
The free monthly newsletter for academics, students, engineers, Scientists and Social Scientists: http://www.hw.ac.uk/libWWW/irn/irn.html
Best Of The web:http://botw.org/
- Open Directory Project:http://dmoz.org/
- Look Smart: http://www.looksmart.com
- Excite: http://www.excite.com/
- Lycos: http://www.lycos.com
Free Online Dictionaries
- Merriam-Webster Online-http://www.merriam-webster.com/
- The free dictionary:http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nary
- The free online dictionary:http://www.freedict.com/
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online:http://dictionary.cambridge.org/.
- Freebyte’s Guide to…Free Dictionaries:http://www.freebyte.com/dictionary/
Access Free Online Books
- Directory of Free Online Books and FREE eBooks
- Free ebook directories
E MAGZINE & JOURNALS
1.http://www.icast.org.in/ejournal/ejournal.phpfree e journals in Commerce
2.http://dictionaries.cambridge.org/?dict=ACambridge Dictionary of American English
3.http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/teachersites/oald7/?oup_jspFileName=teacherSite.jsp&cc=globalOxford English Language Teaching
5.http://rzblx1.uni-regensburg.de/ezeit/fl.phtml?bibid=AAAAA&colors=1&lang=en FULL TEXT FREE JOURNALS 8000+
iii. Nuclear Physics
- 40+ computers
- Broadband connection
LIST OF DOCUMENTS DISPLAYED IN COMMERCE LABORATORY
- Deposits – All types (All forms/Challans/formats)
- Loans – All types (All Forms/Challans/Formats)
- All Financial Services- Including Foreign exchange remittances of Banks, Money exchanges/Western Money/MoneyGram) and Bancassurance etc. (All Forms/Formats/Challans)
- E-Banking services(All Forms/Formats/Challans)
II. Accounting Vouchers (All) and Computerized accounting manuals;
III. Auditing (All Forms/Formats/Challans)
- Taxation (All Income tax, e-tax returns, Service tax and VAT Forms/Formats/Challans)
- Insurance (Life and General both) Business related -All forms/Formats/Documents.
- Sole trader related document copies (all)
VII. Partnership Business related document copies(all)
VIII. Joint stock Company (All Formats/Certificates/Documents)
- Stock Exchange related – All forms/ formats and documents.
- Societies, Trusts related documents (all)
- Mutual Funds and investments related – All forms/formats.
XII. Foreign trade (export and import documents- All Forms/Formats/Challans)
XIII. Protection of Consumer rights (All forms and documents)
XIV. Tours and travel documents (All forms/formats)
XV . Transport and ware-house documents (all).
XVI. Small Business registration documents.
XVII. Marketing and Advertising brochures/pamphlets/documents.
XVIII. Legal documents and Acts copies, including Right to Information Act.
XIX. Annual Reports/Annual Accounts Reports of Companies.
(The above list is not an exhaustive one and the Department of Commerce of each College should obtain more latest business related documents and display them in the laboratory).
1.Large rooms accommodating 60 students
2.Medium rooms accommodating 30 students
3.Small rooms accommodating 15 students
4.Separate rooms for specialization subject accommodating 6 students
Conference Hall accommodating 50+ persons